Thursday, April 30, 2009

NABJ Bowling in Philly (Recap)

(FROM LEFT TO RIGHT: Christopher Nelson, NABJ student representative; Aprill Turner, NABJ Associate representative; myself, Sarah Glover, PABJ President; Deirdre Childress, NABJ Secretary; Jason Lockhart, GSABJ member).

It was well worth taking a Wednesday off.

It was well worth the 1 hour and 15 minute drive to the city of Brotherly Love.

I felt right at home in Philly (forgot to get a cheesesteak though) with the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists and I didn't become a victim of the A&E Show..."Parking Wars"

If you add two hours of bowling at North Bowl and the great food that night, it was the best social event I've attended in a while. Let me get back to the food for a second because I believe one of the marks of a good event is tasty food.

The mini-hamburgers, the chicken wings and the chips and salsa were perfect appetizers for the event and I felt a little guilty going back for a second and I think a third helping. I have one public service announcement for anyone that tries to eat a chicken wing and then get up to bowl: make sure you wipe your hands off cleanly. I nearly dropped the bowling ball on my foot not realizing there was still some grease on my hands. Thankfully, I have good reflexes and saved a trip to the emergency room and if you're wondering: I bowled a strike on that frame.

I didn't quite make it to my average of 160 (top game was 147) but I noticed there are quite a few bowlers in the Philly chapter. On a serious note, I was happy to make a contribution, albeit a small one, to NABJ's "On the Move Campaign".

Next stop, NABJ's Region 1 Conference in NYC on May 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment