Friday, July 24, 2009

Looking ahead to 2010 and 2011

Hopefully, I'll see as many NABJ members as possible at this year's convention in Tampa from August 5-9.

I'm excited to see Michael Wilbon get this year's lifetime achievement award.

I'm even more thrilled to see Leon Carter and Sandy Rosenbush get this year's legacy award. I was a 2000 graduate of the Sports Journalism Institute and I'm still grateful for that opportunity.

I'll also be celebrating a very special birthday in Tampa at the 4th annual NABJ Sports Task Force party. I was there for the first party in Indianapolis in 2006 and haven't missed one since.

As you can see, it has been a good year for sports people. Let's hope it continues on August 7.

However, I'm a little sad that A LOT of my good friends are not attending this year's convention in Tampa for many reasons. Some friends are unemployed. More friends are broke. Others just didn't like Tampa as a convention city.

I can't fault anyone for how they choose to spend their money. I've been spending my own cash attending NABJ conventions since 2001. I only missed two conventions (2003 in Dallas and 2004-Unity in Washington, D.C.) and it was only because I got new jobs just before the convention those years. I felt guilty asking for time off in 2003 and 2004. Otherwise, I've made it my mission (five years and counting) to attend NABJ or Unity each year...even if it puts me in the red.

So, anyone that isn't coming to Tampa this year, I hope you will give strong consideration to the 2010 convention in San Diego (July 28 - August 1) and to the 2011 convention in Philadelphia (August 3 - August 7).


No comments:

Post a Comment