Sunday, June 21, 2009

Atlanta Chapter NABJ Candidates Forum



I've been told on several occasions that my personality fits that of a Southern gentleman. I consider this a big compliment considering that I've lived 86 percent of my life in the Northeast between three states (Massachusetts, New York and now New Jersey). The other 14 percent was spent as a baby in Jamaica.

Prior to Saturday, my only visit to Atlanta was for the 2005 NABJ Convention. I still have my 2005 NABJ convention bag (one of the few that my mother hasn't confiscated). I'm not sure why she's infatuated with my NABJ convention bags but she asks to see the new bag every year. Go figure. It is hard saying no to my mother but I've stood my ground and held onto the 30th anniversary convention bag.

Nevertheless, I went to Atlanta again on what appeared to be the hottest day of the year (98 degrees...and I'm not talking about the music group). I felt the heat the second I walked outside of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Of course, I had on a suit and tie, so it felt like 108 degrees to me. As I'm walking outside the airport, I thought back to the day I received the invitation to come to Atlanta. I said "yes" without hesitation and booked a flight a few days later without even knowing if I could get the day off. I work Saturdays and while it usually isn't a problem to switch around my schedule in the summer time, I had to eventually use a vacation day to make my appearance possible.

I felt it was well worth a vacation day to meet the members of the Atlanta chapter and visitors to the candidates forum. It was also good to see a wide range of ages in the auditorium and some familiar faces from the NABJ listserves. I had several goals by coming to Atlanta:

1) I hope I made a good impression on the Atlanta Chapter members because I know they vote.

2) I hope I showed that I really want to be the organization's next secretary via my platform.

3) I hope that I showed I have the time to make a serious commitment to the organization for the next two years.

4) Most importantly, I'm crossing my fingers on getting some votes from the 404 area code.

No comments:

Post a Comment